A chewy oatmeal cookie base studded with sweet dark chocolate melts in your mouth, and pairs perfectly with a glass of milk (or coffee!). These will disappear in no time!
What a weekend, guys! Between a holiday party, birthday party, catching up with friends, and a heartbreaking UVA basketball game, I can barely keep my eyes open to write this post!
Deloitte Holiday Party Photo Booth shenanigans
My weekend in DC (aka my 48-hour escape from suburbia) began with me beginning the drive to Columbia Heights on Friday afternoon and realizing just as I turned onto GW Parkway that I had left these cookies at my parents’ house. Great. Now what was I supposed to give my generous hosts?! My presence?? I’m not that great.
And, although there was a brief minute of saltiness that I did not come bearing baked goods, my friends eventually forgave me as we set off on our whirlwind weekend of activities. I:
– Crashed in various beds
– Ate Chipotle and watched trashy TV with my dearest forever-roomie Lexi
– Cried at Arlington Rooftop Bar when Villanova beat the Hoos on a buzzer beater
– Spent a full 3-hour lunch with Chris laughing about everything because margarita pitchers
– Broke veganism courtesy of a Nutella-strawberry pizza at Piola
– Cooked a deliciously basic brunch of avocado toast and boozy coffee shakes with my friends Matt and Robby
– Celebrated the anniversary of my friend Leah’s birth at Right Proper Brewing Co, potentially the most hipster place I’ve ever been but in the best way
– Reveled in life
Honestly, this was the best weekend I’ve had in such a long time. I was around the people I loved, I was rejuvenated, and the only stress I had was where I’d sleep that night. The one thing that could have made it better? If I had remembered these cookies!
Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
To make these cookies, you will need:
– 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, unsalted (I used dairy-free Earth Balance)
– 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
– 1/2 cup granulated sugar
– 1 t vanilla extract
– 1 egg
– 2/3 cup old-fashioned oats
– 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
– 1/2 t baking soda
– Pinch salt
– 1 cup dark chocolate chips (I used dairy-free)
In a medium bowl, mix together flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Place your butter in a large bowl and microwave in 15-second increments until melted. Stir in your sugars until well-combined, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla, and stir vigorously until the mixture is light and fluffy.
Add the dry ingredient mixture to the butter mixture and stir just until no streaks of flour remain. Add chocolate chips and stir to combine. Now, pop the batter into the freezer to chill and start preheating your oven to 350F.
Once the oven is ready, line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper (or Silpat) and scoop 2-Tablespoon-sized balls of cookie dough onto the sheet. Flatten balls slightly with your palm, then bake for 11-12 minutes, until edges have begun to turn golden.
Allow to cool, then serve! These are so easy, so delicious, and such a good pick-me-up for a rainy day. Pair with a pair of fuzzy socks, a mug of tea, and a cheesy Lifetime movie for ultimate Hygge.