Looking for a quick lunch on the go? Look no further than this mixed bean and veggie salad! Just six ingredients (that you likely have on hand already!) combine to make a wholesome, filling, delicious meal!
Friends! Please share – what were your New Years resolutions? How are they going?
Every year around this time, while the “January Joiners” flood the gyms, I usually resolve to stray away from these sweaty MRSA infections-waiting-to-happen and to do more yoga at home. To meditate more in a feeble attempt to calm my ever-swirling brain. To be more like my one true role model, Ke$ha. And to dedicate my life to Scones & Patron!
And so far, it’s going pretty well!
- I’ve done yoga almost every day (everything that happened in Florida was just a drunken blur and yoga was probably involved, but I can’t be entirely sure)
- I actually meditate in savasana at the end of my practice rather than hopping up as soon as vinyasa ends (“NOPE, NONE OF THAT CALMING SHENANIGAN! GET ME A MARGARITA, STAT!” <– old Jess)
- See – last post where I hit on married guys. And – last night where I chugged directly from a bottle of white wine (on a Tuesday). And – literally everything that happened in Florida.
- …I’m here, aren’t I?!
And, finally, I resolved to fully immerse myself into the vegan lifestyle I began dabbling in at the end of last year. I feel so great, both physically and mentally, despite the long list of friends who just send me derogatory memes. They just jealouzzzzz.
I’m on a mission to show my friends that veganism can be fun, easy, and delicious! As such, I’ve embarked on a 7-day vegan lunch challenge, centered around the following grocery list:
– 2 avocados
– 1 tomato
– 1 red pepper
– 1 cucumber
– 1 bag baby spinach
– 1 can each: chickpeas, black beans, white beans
– 1 bag brown rice
– 1 loaf bread
GRAND TOTAL: $15!!!
That’s right, my friends. For less than the price of 1 meal from Uber Eats (damn you, delivery surcharge), you can get 7+ healthy, easy lunches! *brushes dirt off shoulder*
Meal #1 was this hoity-toity “open-faced sandwich” (aka toast) with 1/4 smashed avocado + red pepper on one side, hummus + cucumber on the other side, sprinkled with a little TJ’s 21-seasoning salute. Meal #2? This quick bean salad, that I awkwardly ate in the middle of Tysons mall while waiting for my hair appointment! (PS guess who’s blonde?! Coming for ya, Ke$ha)
Mixed Bean & Veggie Salad
To make this salad, you will need:
– 1/2 cup black beans, drained
– 1/2 cup chickpeas, drained
– 1/4 red onion, diced
– 1/2 tomato, cubed
– 1/4 avocado, cubed
– 1/4 red pepper, diced
– Olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste
Begin by chopping/dicing/cubing your red pepper, onion, tomato, and avocado. Next, measure out your black beans and chickpeas. Combine them all in your tupperware (or meal vessel of choice), drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, sprinkle with seasonings of choice, combine, and serve!
^^^EASY! HEALTHY! CHEAP! VEGAN! DELICIOUS!
It can be done, folks.
And maybe… ONE DAY… my friends will stop tagging me in this ish.
LET ME KNOW – What were your New Years resolutions? How are they going? Let’s support each other!